Wednesday, February 11, 2009

#7 - Streets of Fort Collins

Title: Streets of Fort Collins
Author: Charlene Tresner
Pages: 30
Genre: non-fiction, history

Fun little reference book with lots of local info and vintage pictures. I LOVE old city photographs! Learned that the street I live on is named for the first mayor of Fort Collins. Also that the streets downtown are each 100 feet wide. Except for the 2 main streets, College Ave (north/south) & Mountain Ave (west/east) which are 140 feet wide and can hold 17 cars parked side by side all the way across (as tested in the 1950s). Our wide streets are great now, but they weren't very popular at the time, when ladies, in their big skirts, had to trudge through the mud across super wide streets. Which brought about fancy sidewalks in 1894.

Gosh...I could go on and on! Can't wait to read more of the history books I just picked up tonight. Wheeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment