Title: Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World
Author: Rita Golden Gelman
Pages: 320
Genre: Non-fiction, Travel memoir
One of my favorite books ever! This was a much needed re-read (but I'm still counting it). I am continuously in awe of this woman. She is my hero.
I follow her blog religiously. http://www.ritagoldengelman.com
BLURB: In 1986, the middle-aged author left behind an upscale California lifestyle and fading marriage to begin an odyssey that continues to this day. Using a well-paced and fluid writing style, Gelman describes how she observed orangutans in the rain forests of Borneo, canoed in Indonesia, ate psychedelic mushrooms in Mexico, and skirted landmines in Nicaragua. Wherever she travels, it is the people and their customs that intrigue her most, from the restrictive but culturally rich celebrations of a Hasidic family in Israel to the more relaxed but equally ritualized daily life of her new friends in Bali. Her enthusiasm for the people she meets and her ability to overcome the challenges faced by a woman traveling alone make for an engrossing and inspirational read.
No comments:
Post a Comment