Title: Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy
Author: L. A. Meyer
Pages: 320
Genre: Fiction, YA
This was recommended by a friend and I absolutely LOVED this book! It was so fun! I was worried about the old-timey accents when I first started reading it, but I immediately fell into the rhythm of the writing and the book was the better for it. It's labeled a Young Adult book but doesn't really feel that way. All in all, a very entertaining read! I highly recommend.
BLURB: Mary Faber is a young girl orphaned by a pestilence that relegates her to a life of begging and petty crime on the streets of London. After her gang's leader is killed, she dons his clothing, renaming herself Jack Faber, and takes to the high seas aboard the HMS Dolphin as a Ship's Boy. Meyer evokes life in the 18th-century Royal Navy with Dickensian flair. He seamlessly weaves into Jacky's first-person account a wealth of historical and nautical detail at a time when pirates terrorized the oceans.
Bloody Jack is the first in The Bloody Jack Adventure Series.
#2 - Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady
#3 - Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber
#4 - In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber
#5 - Mississippi Jack: Being an Account of the Further Waterborne Adventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman, Fine Lady, and Lily of the West
#6 - My Bonny Light Horseman: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, in Love and War
No comments:
Post a Comment